It’s possible that it could all be coincidence, but there were a lot of unusual elements of Charlotte’s 2-1 loss to Jacksonville that draws notice with only a couple of days before the trade deadline. You had:
*Jimmy Lambert pulled after two scoreless innings and 27 pitches.
*Mike Wright coming in relief of Lambert in the top of the third, except he wasn’t on the active roster before the game (perhaps because he’s a starter and wasn’t expected to throw Wednesday).
*Jake Burger being replaced defensively in the top of the ninth, even though he started at third and the game was tied at 1.
*Wes Helms not being made available after the game to explain the various moves.
These could all be coincidental collisions of minor-league randomness, but this is what it would look like if the game was truly afoot.
Jacksonville 2, Charlotte 1
- Luis Robert went 2-for-4 with a double and a strikeout.
- Jake Lamb was 2-for-4.
- Yermín Mercedes went 0-for-4 with a K.
- Jake Burger went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Micker Adolfo was 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Jimmy Lambert: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Rocket City 8, Birmingham 7 (10 innings)
- Romy Gonzalez went 1-for-4 with two walks and two strikeouts.
- Carlos Pérez was 1-for-4 with two walks and a strikeout.
- Yolbert Sanchez went 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Blake Battenfield: 4 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 3 HR
Winston-Salem 9, Greensboro 8
- Yoelqui Céspedes went 3-for-5 with a double, a strikeout and a CS.
- Lenyn Sosa went 1-for-4 with a walk.
- So did Luis Curbelo, also he also struck out twice.
- Davis Martin: 5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HR
Salem 6, Kannapolis 4
- Jose Rodriguez went 1-for-5 with a triple and a strikeout.
- Bryan Ramos logged his first multi-hit game since July 8 with a 2-for-5 night.
- Luis Mieses also was 2-for-5.
- Harvin Mendoza went 1-for-4 with a K.
- DJ Gladney, 1-for-3 with a sac fly and a strikeout.
- Caberea Weaver was 0-for-4 with a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Chase Krogman went 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Andrew Dalquist: 4 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
(Photo by Laura Wolff / Charlotte Knights)
Literally why is nearly every pitcher in the system getting smacked around for like 2 or 3 hits per inning??
I hear that’s fairly common for a 30th ranked farm system.
Especially when you’re most highly regarded pitchers are all prep guys who didn’t get any playing time last season and are having to play A ball in Kannapolis because MLB contracted the minors.
Robert’s gonna be called up sometime during the next home stand, isn’t he?
Anyone know what time Burger was pulled compared to when Eloy was pulled? If the timing makes sense, I wonder if Burger was pulled in case Eloy’s injury was serious. Zavala was pulled from the Charlotte game when Grandal went down.
8:37 p.m., so that doesn’t seem to be the case.
SSS had this tweet in their recap. Makes it sound like Burger’s exit wasn’t trade related:
Sox acquire Cesar Hernandez for Pilkington. Didn’t expect this one, but it is great news.