Tuesday night’s game between the Norfolk Tides and Durham Bulls came to a halt in the top of the eighth inning with the Tides leading 12-4, as a line drive hit Durham pitcher Tyler Zombro in the head.
Minor League Baseball being more about player development than wins and losses, the game was suspended, and then ended early. Fortunately, the updates are encouraging thus far, with the Bulls saying Zombro was taken to Duke University Hospital and is in stable condition.
Evan Marshall, who is no stranger to suffering lingering effects from such an occurrence, tweeted his support.
Nashville 15, Charlotte 4
- Luis González went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Blake Rutherford, 1-for-4.
- Jake Burger singled twice and struck out twice.
- Brian Goodwin was 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
*Adam Engel didn’t play, so now we’ll see if this is why Gavin Sheets took Andrew Vaughn’s spot instead.
Birmingham 5, Tennessee 4 (Completed from June 2)
- Romy Gonzalez and Carlos Péreez were both 0-for-4 with a K.
- Micker Adolfo went 2-for-4 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Konnor Pilkington before the rain: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
Birmingham 1, Tennessee 0 (7 innings)
- Ti’Quan Forbes was 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
- Romy Gonzalez, 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Micker Adolfo was 0-for-2 with a K.
- John Parke: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP
Winston-Salem 8, Greensboro 6
- Lenyn Sosa went 2-for-5 with two strikeotus.
- Luis Curbelo went 1-for-3 with a homer, two walks and a strikeout.
- Yolbert Sanchez went 0-for-5 with a K.
- Duke Ellis homered again, was hit by a pitch and struck out twice.
Kannapolis at Fayetteville PPD
(Photo by James Reyes)
Goodwin is barely playing well enough to be a 4th outfielder in Charlotte much less Chicago.
Yeah, his average was up to .260 the other day and now back down. Every time he gets going he hits a slump. A shame, his 2019 numbers with the Angels were quite decent, and way better than Eaton, who continues to prove that those who complained about signing him this winter were completely justified.
Has Adam Engel played two games in a row yet?
Yeah, he played full games both Tuesday and Wednesday.
Completely bonkers that Jake Burger has an .886 OPS after 21 games at AAA. I’m so happy for the guy. This kind of comeback (three years off, jumping three levels, then crushing the ball) has to be completely unprecedented.