Just the box scores today:
Charlotte 1, Lehigh Valley 0
- Nick Madrigal went 1-for-4.
- Luis Robert, 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Zack Collisn was 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Seby Zavala, 0-for-2 with a walk and an HBP.
Birmingham 4, Montgomery 2
- Luis Gonzalez went 1-for-4 with a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Luis Basabe was 2-for-4 with a double.
- Blake Rutherford went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Gavin Sheets went 2-for-4 with his 15th homer and a strikeout.
- Blake Battenfield: 5.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K
Fayetteville 5, Winston-Salem 4
- Steele Walker went 1-for-5.
- Andrew Vaughn, 0-for-4.
- Carlos Perez went 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Jonathan Stiever: 3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
*Stiever threw 79 pitches over his three innings, all of which were laborious according to Julie Brady.
Delmarva 5, Kannapolis 1
- Lenyn Sosa went 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Romy Gonzalez singled, walked and struck out twice.
- Corey Zangari went 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Jason Bilous: 5 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP, 1 WP
Great Falls 3, Grand Junction 2
- Cabera Weaver went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Harvin Mendoza was 0-for-3.
- So was Lency Delgado, with a strikeout.
- Luis Mieses went 1-for-3.
- Sam Abbott was 0-for-2 with a strikeout and an HBP.
- Kelvin Maldonado went 1-for-3 with a strikeout.
AZL Cubs1 10, AZL White Sox 2
- Samil Polanco went 0-for-4.
- Sidney Pimentel went 1-for-4.
- Jose Rodriguez was 1-for-4 with a homer.
- DJ Gladney went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Bryan Ramos was 0-for-3 with an HBP.
- Logan Glass went 1-for-4 with a K.
- Anthony Coronado was 1-for-3 with a strikeout and an HBP.
- Victor Torres singled and struck out twice.
- Misael Gonzalez went 0-for-1.
- Chase Krogman replaced him and was 1-for-2.
DSL White Sox 5, DSL D-backs1 0
- Yolbert Sanchez went 0-for-5.
- Jefferson Mendoza was 2-for-5 with two strikeouts and a stolen base.
- Elijah Tatis was 0-for-3 with a walk and two strikeouts.
While Steiver’s start is troubling, it’s great that he struggled through and didn’t cough up a lot of runs or give up a lot of walks.
If he had his command every day, he wouldn’t be in the minor leagues. Unless you are Kershaw, everyone has off days. Like you said, it’s good that he showed he can deal with it and still be reasonable effective.
I think it’s just fatigue for Stiever. Keep him healthy for the next 3 weeks and call this year a success.
Jason Morgan had his strongest effort to date- 7 1⁄3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, BB, 3 K, 84 pitches/53 strikes.
I’d like to see Blake Battenfield get a shot at AAA soon. He had a pretty rough game the start before this one, but that looks like an outlier. Over the last 5, if you remove the outlier, his numbers look pretty good: 24.1 IP, 2 ER, 3 BB, 18 K.
I suspect AAA will be a problem for him, since he’s not a strikeout guy. But it’s been a problem for everyone!