A wrist injury hampered Seby Zavala‘s production at Charlotte last season, and it seems as though his slow start at Triple-A this time around can be tied to the same problem.
Zavala went on the injured list with a left wrist inflammation, which is the same wrist that undermined his ability to hit in 2018. He started his year hitting .203/.230/.458 with a whopping 23 strikeouts against just two walks over 61 plate appearances. The slugging percentage is up, but so is everybody else’s since they’re using the same baseball as they do in the majors.
The White Sox picked up journeyman catcher Brett Nicholas to fill in the roster gap.
Toledo 11, Charlotte 7
- Charlie Tilson went 1-for-5 with his first homer, striking out once.
- Danny Mendick went 3-for-4 with a homer.
- Dylan Cease: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HR
*Cease’s postgame commments:
Rome 3, Kannapolis 2
- Luis Basabe singled twice, walked twice and struck out once.
- Steele Walker singled thrice and struck out once.
- Lenyn Sosa went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Bryce Bush has four good games in a row: 2-for-3 with a triple, walk and stolen base.
- Luis Curbelo went 1-for-4.
- Amado Nunez, 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Konnor Pilkington: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HBp
- Jason Bilous: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Zack Burdi: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
*Rome’s broadcast cut out the two-run double Burdi allowed and didn’t have readings on his fastball, but he was blowing it by hitters.
Bryce Bush’s OPS now begins with a 5.
Is there a place to find Cease’s pitch-mix? Wondering if the Sox are limiting the # of FB’s or CB’s he’s allowed to throw, forcing him to work on the change-up. I recall them doing this with Kopech. Just not this early on.
No, but it doesn’t sound like that was the issue.
Here’s a question about the OF at Birmingham.
Once Basabe completes his rehab assignment in Kannapolis, the assumption is that he’s going to be placed back at AA, correct?
If so, does Birmingham switch to a 5 man OF rotation, or do they take that opportunity to promote Booker to Charlotte to clear a spot?
Development is the most important. I say they go with a 4 man outfield like little league.