Garrett Crochet is alive, and well enough.
He pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the Birmingham Barons against Biloxi on Wednesday night with a pair of strikeouts, including a four-pitch strikeout of No. 2 overall prospect Jackson Chourio.
Crochet hadn’t pitched in more than two months, as his rehab stint from shoulder inflammation was cut short after just two appearances, the latter one on July 6. Crochet worked 95-97 with his fastball, mixing in his slider and his changeup. As long as you’re not expecting triple-digit heat anymore, he looked fine.
The Barons only have one series remaining after this week, but Charlotte’s season extends a week beyond that, so there’s plenty of time for Crochet to complete a rehab stint if his body is up to it. What that means for his role next season is less clear.
- José Rodríguez went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Adam Hackenberg, 1-for-4 with a K.
- Nick Nastrini: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 4 WP, 40 of 78 pitches for strikes.
- Alsander Womack went 1-for-4 with a double.
- Colson Montgomery was 0-for-3 with an HBP.
- Bryan Ramos went 0-for-4.
- So did Wilfred Veras, with two strikeouts.
- Edgar Quero was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Tim Elko, 1-for-4 with a double and a strikeout.
- Terrell Tatum was 3-for-4.
- Yoelqui Céspedes, 1-for-3 with a K.
- Ky Bush: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 46 of 87 pitches for strikes.
- Garrett Crochet: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 9 of 15 pitches for strikes.
- Loidel Chapelli homered, walked twice and struck out thrice.
- Jacob Burke doubled, singled, was plunked once and struck out twice.
- Brooks Baldwin went 2-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Rikuu Nishida went 0-for-4 with two sac flies and two strikeouts.
- Eddie Park went 2-for-5 with a triple and a strikeout.
- Jacob Gonzalez, 2-for-3 with two walks.
- Calvin harris went 0-for-4 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Jordan Sprinkle was 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Aldrin Batista: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 41 of 71 pitches for strikes.