No products in the cart.
While Colson Montgomery is a freshly minted top-100 prospect for both MLB Pipeline and Baseball America, the latter outlet took time to hail another one of the system’s middle infielders, as Lenyn Sosa made the cut for Geoff Pontes’ roundup of Minor League Baseball’s offensive breakout performers.
Lenyn Sosa, SS, White Sox: Recently promoted to the major leagues, Sosa has been one of the White Sox’s biggest development wins over the last few seasons. He played well over 82 games with High-A Winston-Salem in 2021 before struggling upon promotion to Double-A Birmingham. In 2022 Sosa showed major improvements in the way of bat-to-ball skills and swing decisions. While he was prone to chasing, it was often against pitches on the fringes of the strike zone. Year over year Sosa made nearly a 6% jump in contact rate while showing a moderate increase in power. His game production jumped significantly in 2022 as he hit .331/.384/.549 in 62 Double-A games prior to his big league promotion.
Both Sosa and Montgomery kept rolling with big games on Friday night.
- Lenyn Sosa went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and a strikeout.
- Eloy Jiménez played left field and walekd three times before departing for a pinch runner.
- Carlos Pérez was 1-for-5.
- Yolbert Sánchez went 3-for-5, but was caught stealing.
- Davis Martin: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HR
- José Rodríguez went 2-for-5, and was caught stealing.
- Yoelqui Céspedes was 1-for-4.
- Colson Montgomery went 2-for-3 with two walks.
- Oscar Colás was 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Same for Bryan Ramos, but his hit was a homer.
- Luis Mieses went 1-for-5 with three strikeouts.
- Adam Hackenberg went 1-for-3 with a double, walk and strikeout.
- Matthew Thompson: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR
- James Beard went 2-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Wes Kath, 0-for-4 with a K.
- DJ Gladney wore the silver sombrero during an 0-for-5 night.
- Wilfred Veras went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Cam Butler walked twice and struck out thrice.
- Luis Pineda was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Dairo Borrero went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- So did Victor Quezada, who also struck out.
- Erick Bello: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K