The plan is simple. I want more speed for if the ball doesn’t go out the park. I want an A level starter in each position and I want to defend better.
We are intentionally underspending and under resourcing relievers. Our team is built around good starts, lets use that until the deadline. At the deadline try and use trades to pick up the value we need (think the Pilkington trade). Not everyone will be a Tepera, but given the budget issues, this is where we had to get cheap.
- Lucas Giolito: $7.9M. TENDER. We can’t get a discount on Gio, so let’s exploit the arb system.
- Reynaldo López; $2.8M. TENDER
- Evan Marshall: $2.3M Fire and re-hire. Get him off the 40 man but keep him with us if possible.
- Adam Engel: $2.2M Tender
- Brian Goodwin: $1.7M non-Tender
- Jimmy Cordero: $1.2M Try and bring back on a minor deal
- Jace Fry: $1M Try and bring back on a minor deal
Write “pick up” or “decline” or “rework” after the option.
- Craig Kimbrel: $16M ($1M buyout) Buyout, the trade hasn’t worked out, let’s not make a new mistake thinking we are pot committed.
- César Hernández: $6M Decline . He’s a good starter on a II division side. We are aiming higher.
OTHER IMPENDING FREE AGENTS
Try to retain, extend qualifying offer, or let go?
- Leury García (Made $3.5M in 2021) 1year/ 4 mil. Yes he has his warts, but you need a utility player… just need to use him in that role.
- Carlos Rodón ($3M) Qual offer(Boras client and declined due to uncertainty with CBA). It he declines off 3 years/ 40million. When we win the commissioners trophy, the story line of Rodon will make it sweeter. 10/15/15
- Billy Hamilton ($1M) Let go
- Ryan Tepera ($950K). This is a budget based decision. If Jerry wants to give us more cash, this is who it goes on. Let go
Starling Marte 3years/$45mil 13/16/16
I love a team that runs. Marte/Anderson/Robert/new 2nd baseman. It would give opposing pitchers fits. Abreu and Eloy could exploit that distraction. His steals amount shows his legs are good. That’s why I’d do 3 years at his age. If we don’t, someone else will.
Plan B is Chris Taylor
No. 1: Trade Crochet to the Royals for Merrifield. Trade evaluator has this as a massive win for the royals. I think it needs to be for the Royals to do it. His contract for 2022 costs $2.75mil. His second year contract is an option for $10.5. Id try and get the Royals to pay some of this second year.
Crochet is a subtraction, but i’m just not sure what he’s great at. He won’t be a closer or a starter in my opinion. Let’s cash in.
Plan B is Chris Taylor
Fight between Romy/Adolfo/ Burger and any non-roster invitee we can pick up
Keuchel (need to try and get something for
Our investment, cut if still rubbish)
Kopech (Start stretching him out)
Whoever we can keep or pick up on minor league deal
This was painful. The budget is so tight, we have nobody of value to trade that wouldn’t cause a new hole. The bullpen could get lit up. This will be the only hole however in July, if things go to plan.
The team will run better and defend better. Eloy will be the x-factor. If he improves, everything gets better.
This plan takes us all the way to $170 mil.
P.S I did this before reading anyone else’s plans. I thought it would be more fun that way. Hopefully I’ve kept it somewhat realistic.