It was a big night for two of Minor League Baseball’s most woeful early stories.
First, the Fredericksburg Nationals finally won a game. They took a 2-0 lead into the ninth inning against Salem and weathered a pair of two-out doubles for a 2-1 victory, their first in 16 games this season.
The Kannapolis Cannon Ballers had beaten the FredNats to the win column, but they’d yet to do so at their new home, starting the season 0-for-9 at Atrium Health Ballpark. The Ballers were more than pleased to report that something had changed.
Stay tuned to the end of this post for details.
Durham 3, Charlotte 2
- Brian Goodwin and Blake Rutherford were both 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Jake Burger went 1-for-3 with his fifth homer and a strikeout.
- That’s more like it, Jimmy Lambert: 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 26 of 42 pitches for strikes.
Montgomery 6, Birmingham 4
- Romy Gonzalez played for the first time in a week and went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Micker Adolfo went 1-for-4 with his fifth homer and a strikeout.
- Carlos Pérez was 1-for-4.
- Ti’Quan Forbes singled twice and struck out twice.
- John Parke: 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
Winston-Salem 5, Jersey Shore 0
- Lenyn Sosa doubled, walked and struck out twice.
- Yolbert Sanchez collected his first extra-base hit with a double during a 1-for-4 night.
- Luis Curbelo was 2-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Luis Mises went 0-for-4.
- Duke Ellis, 2-for-4 with a stolen base.
- Lazaro Leal went 2-for-4. He’s 7-for-22 with a double this season, which counts as “blazing hot” in the low minors.
- Davis Martin struck out five over five perfect innings, throwing 40 of 54 pitches for strikes.
Kannapolis 6, Columbia 2
- Caberea Weaver homered, which was the “1” in his 1-for-5 night with three strikeouts.
- José Rodriguez went 0-for-4 with a K.
- Bryan Ramos went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- DJ Gladney homered, walked and struck out twice.
- Benyamin Bailey went 1-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Lency Delgado was 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- James Beard, 0-for-2 with two walks, a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Andrew Dalquist: 3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP
Gladney’s follow-through reminds me of someone but I can’t put my finger on it.
Is it alive? Does it writhe? Can it survive under the sun?