Rather than watching Chris Bassitt shut down the White Sox because he’s a decent right-handed pitcher, I figured I’d learn more on a Sunday afternoon from watching Casey Mize pitch.
Mize, last year’s No. 1 overall pick and a consensus top-three pitching prospect, couldn’t successfully shake New Hampshire hitters off his fastball. After suffering hard contact early in counts — including a solo homer — he started pitching backwards, with sliders as his primary pitch to righties, and doubling up on changeups to lefties.
But they adjusted back, and it all collapsed on him during a five-run fifth, including this back-breaking three-run shot on a 94 mph fastball.
Lehigh Valley 6, Charlotte 3
- Nick Madrigal went 1-for-3 with two walks.
- Luis Robert, 1-for-4 with a walk, two strikeouts and a stolen base.
- Yermin Mercedes was 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Zack Collins went 0-for-3 with a sac fly, walk and two strikeouts.
- Danny Mendick played left, going 0-for-2 with a strikeout and getting ejected afterward.
- Seby Zavala went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Dylan Covey isn’t a risk to be called up in the next few days: 4 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Montgomery 12, Birmingham 4
- Luis Basabe went 0-for-4 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Laz Rivera was 2-for-4 with two doubles.
- Blake Rutherford went 2-for-4 with one double.
- Gavin Sheets was 1-for-4 with a K.
- Ti’Quan Forbes, 2-for-4.
- Tyler Johnson: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 2 HR
- Alec Hansen: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Fayetteville 4, Winston-Salem 2
- Steele Walker went 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Andrew Vaughn was 0-for-2 with two walks.
- Taylor Varnell’s High-A debut: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 7 K, 2 WP
- Caleb Frare: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Delmarva 4, Kannapolis 2
- Lenyn Sosa singled twice and struck out twice.
- Romy Gonzalez went 0-for-3 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Corey Zangari went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
Unfortunately, Covey is always a risk to be called up.
It’s unfortunate that we are conditioned to think of FO moves like wildfires or food-borne illness.
Two decent outings in a row for Hansen. That’s progress!
I know it’s too early to be worried about Andrew Vaughn….
….but I’m worried about Andrew Vaughn.
A not super athletic 1B who’s been playing meaningful games since February and is 40 games past his previous career high, while climbing multiple levels.
I just want one of these can’t miss / advanced approach / position limited college hitters we keep drafting to just be Kris Bryant and tear it up.
We all do.
For this year, as long as the BB and K #’s are solid, I won’t worry.
PS- He’s also much more Paulie than Bryant.
well that doesn’t make me feel any better.
The recent road trip has not been kind to Robert. Hope it’s fatigue and not the dreaded White Sox AAA prospect home/road split symdrome.
He hasn’t been hitting well since this catch. Though, he did have a multi hit game right after and hit two HRs so I probably cancelled my argument.