No products in the cart.
As James Fegan noted, when the White Sox beat writers vote on the organization’s player of the month awards, they’re basically voting on who they want to talk to in a conference call setting.
Sure enough, Michael Kopech, Seby Zavala and Luis Alexander Basabe all talked to reporters on Friday, and Fegan provided a rundown for The Athletic.
Kopech: Reiterated what he said about his last start, that his changeup felt as good as it ever has in getting swinging strikes. He said, “I hate to sound like I’m beyond ready because that’s not what I’m trying to say at all,” but he at least sounded ready.
Also, it sounds like he trusts his armside command:
“For me, personally, throwing inside to a right-handed hitter is easy. That’s a spot that I don’t really struggle with command. I like to throw inside. I like to keep guys off the plate. I like to keep guys honest instead of diving out. So I have hit a few batters this year. That’s not something I’m going to change. I wouldn’t say I’m a headhunter but if you are leaning over the plate, I throw in and you get hit, that’s not my fault.”
Basabe: He’s healthy. That’s the big difference.
Zavala: He said he and Zack Collins get the rundown before a series of who is catching which game, and he says it’s a working system.
- Jose Rondon went 1-for-5 with a homer and three strikeouts.
- Eddy Alvarez was 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout. He also swiped his first bag.
- Thyago Vieira: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Tito Polo went 0-for-2 and was picked off. He was slow to get up after that, and he was replaced defensively next inning.
- Zack Collins singled, walked thrice and struck out once.
- Eloy Jimenez came up a triple short of the cycle during a 3-for-5 night, striking out once.
- Seby Zavala is starting to come down, going 0-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Matt Rose went 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Jameson Fisher, 3-for-5 with a double. He was caught stealing.
- Jordan Stephens: 6.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K, 2 WP
- Ian Hamilton: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
*Finally, a Jimenez home run highlight with a good camera angle.
- Joel Booker singled and struck out thrice.
- Luis Alexander Basabe went 1-for-3 with a double and two walks.
- Blake Rutherford was 2-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Micker Adolfo was 1-for-3 with two walks, a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Gavin Sheets, 1-for-4 with a double, walk and strikeout.
- Yermin Mercedes went 0-for-4 with a walk and a K.
- Yeyson Yrizarri, 2-for-4 with a double and a strikeout.
- Ti’Quan Forbes, 0-for-4.
- Justin Yurchak went 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Evan Skoug homered, walked and struck out three times.
- Carlos Perez went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts.