Hey, gang. Today kicks off the first in a four-part series looking at Opening Day lineups for the White Sox. Here’s how it’s going to work: each Saturday leading up to Opening Day, you’ll be quizzed on a group of positions; then, the Saturday after Opening Day will be a cumulative exam in which you’ll be asked to fill out each Opening Day lineup going back to 1990. While I was hoping to go back to 1980, Sporcle only allows 300 entries in a quiz, thus the 1990 limitation. Today, we’re going to be looking at the corner infield spots. How many Opening Day first and third basemen starters can you name? Good luck!
- As always, first and last names accepted, in addition to just the last names.
- I’ve given you ten minutes to attempt completion.
- As hints I’ve provided the date and the position of the player, and names are grouped by year.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confound, and/or confuse your friends:
- The highest Win Probability Added from the players on this list was from 1B in 2008: .210; 1/5 with a double and two RBI in an 10-8 loss to the Indians.
- The lowest Win Probability Added from the players on this list was also from 1B in 2003: -.212; 0-3 with a strikeout and a GIDP in a 3-0 loss to the Royals.
- None of the players on this list have hit more than one home run on Opening Day.
All data from baseballreference.com