No products in the cart.
Dayan Viciedo snapped out of his Back-to-Triple-A funk by homering twice, but continue reading to see today’s performance by Andre Rienzo, who tossed a gem in the front end Kannapolis’ doubleheader.
Rienzo, a 22-year-old Brazilian, started the year striking out plenty of hitters (30 over his first 27 innings), but allowing a disproportionate amount of hits (42).
But since the start of July, Rienzo has flipped a switch. He’s thrown 63 innings, allowing just 41 hits while striking out 78 batters. That’s a BAA of .180, when he was around .350 the first two months.
He’s probably the best pitching hope in the lower two levels not named Jacob Petricka.
- Gwinnett 10, Charlotte 8 (10 innings)
- Dayan Viciedo homered twice as part of a 3-for-5 day.
- Alejandro De Aza singled twice and struck out thrice.
- Jordan Danks did him one better in the latter department, wearing a golden sombrero on an 0-for-5 day.
- Erick Threets threw two scoreless innings, with two hits the only thing on his line.
- Jeff Marquez threw three gopher balls en route to seven runs over 5 1/3 innings.
- Birmingham 5, Huntsville 1
- Josh Phegley and Christian Marrero were both 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Eduardo Escobar did the same with no strikeouts.
- Winston-Salem 9, Potomac 8
- Terry Doyle struck out six over five innings, allowing a run on four hits and two walks.
- Jose Martinez went 0-for-5 with a strikeout, and is now 2-for-24 over his last five games.
- Jon Gilmore went 0-for-3 with a strikeout, but drew two walks.
- Kannapolis 5, Greensboro 0 (Game 1, 7 innings)
- Andre Rienzo struck out nine in the shutout, allowing just three singles.
- Trayce Thompson went 2-for-3 with a solo shot.
- Nick Ciolli hit a two-run homer, his only hit in four at-bats. He struck out once.
- Tyler Saladino went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Miguel Gonzalez, still warming: 2-for-3, double, RBI.
- Kannapolis 9, Greensboro 5 (Game 2, 7 innings)
- Thompson homered his this half too, a three-run homer to go along with three strikeouts.
- Saladino went 2-for-4.
- Nick Ciolli (two RBI, strikeout) and Juan Silverio (double) each went 1-for-4.
- Johnson City 3, Bristol 1
- Matthew Heidenreich struck out six with no walks over six shutout innings, allowing just five hits.
- Daniel Black and Rangel Ravelo were both 1-for-4 with a K.
- Great Falls 12, Ogden 10
- Andy Wilkins went 2-for-5 with two RBI.
- Ross Wilson singled, walked and struck out over four ABs.