No products in the cart.
Sam Abbott’s adjustment from likely collegiate water polo player to full-time baseball player hasn’t been an easy one. Since being selected in the eighth round of the 2017 draft, Abbott spent his first two seasons failing to find traction in the Arizona Rookie League, hitting just .190/.346/.287 over 218 plate appearances, including a paltry .139 average last year.
The jump to Great Falls seemed ambitious given this track record, but Abbott could be ineligible for any Voyagers roster after this season, so there’s no time like the present. (The Pioneer League limits teams to three players with three or more years of minor-league experience.)
Through three games, Abbott’s having a lot more fun. He’s 6-for-10 with a homer, two doubles and four walks over three games, only striking out once. For context, Abbott only had 10 hits all of last season, and over 28 games.
Video’s hard to find in Great Falls, but Voyagers broadcaster Shawn Tiemann posted an introduction.
- Jon Jay is still in Charlotte, going 3-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Daniel Palka went 2-for-5.
- Seby Zavala was 1-for-3 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick went 1-for-3 with a homer and a walk.
- Cabera Weaver tripled, singled twice, drew two walks and got plunked. Only a CS marred his line.
- Kelvin Maldonado went 1-for-5 with a walk and a strikeout. He was also caught stealing.
- Luis Mieses was 2-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Harvin Mendoza homered, singled, walked twice and struck out once.
- Lency Delgado went 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Anderson Comas had the only bad day, wearing the collar and silver sombrero. He did get hit by a pitch.
- Sam Abbott was a triple short of the cycle while going 3-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Camilo Quinteiro singled thrice and struck out twice.
- Ramon Pineda: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
- Misael Gonzalez went 1-for-5 with a double and two strikeouts.
- Samil Polanco went 2-for-5 with two doubles and a striekout.
- Jose Rodriguez, 2-for-4 with his first homer.
- D.J. Gladney wore the collar and silver sombrero.
- Bryan Ramos went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
- Harold Diaz struck out after replacing Ramos.
- Josue Guerrero went 1-for-3 with a double and an HBP.
- Wilber Sanchez went 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Anthony Espinoza was 2-for-4 with a double and a walk.
- Benyamin Bailey went 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Jefferson Mendoza was 2-for-3 with two HBPs and a double.