No products in the cart.
Nothing will quite compare to the 13-walk inning in Birmingham, but the nine runs allowed by the Charlotte Knights in the ninth inning of their game against Jacksonville Tuesday night was its own kind of punishing.
The Knights entered the game having lost 13 of 14 thanks to a leaky pitching staff, only to see only 11 of 14 Jumbo Shrimp batters reached in the ninth, which pushed what had been a one-run game well out of reach.
Luis Robert would’ve hit for himself in the ninth for the first complete game of his rehab stint were he in a position to make a difference, but Wes Helms ended up replacing him when his spot came up to the plate after standing around for way too long. Then again, even if he wanted to, the first pitch of the bottom of the ninth might’ve changed his mind.
First, here’s the sequence, which started with Jace Fry on the mound.
(Danny Dopico replaces Fry)
(Ofreidy Gomez replaces Dopico)
The three HBPs must’ve irritated the Jacksonville dugout, because when the bottom of the ninth finally came around, Jumbo Shrimp pitcher Tommy Eveld threw at Matt Reynolds with his first pitch. The fastball sailed behind Reynolds, and after home plate umpire John Mang stopped Reynolds from charging, he met with the other umpires before ejecting Eveld from the game.
Reynolds ended up doubling off Eveld’s replacement Alberto Guerrero. After that, Laz Rivera pinch-hit for Robert, and Ti’Quan Forbes for fellow White Sox rehabber Jake Lamb.
- Luis Robert made his first Triple-A rehab start, going 0-for-2 with a walk, HBP and a strikeout.
- Jake Lamb was 0-for-4 with a K.
- Ti’Quan Forbes delivered a pinch-hit single for him.
- Yermín Mercedes went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Jake Burger homered in his first game back, going 2-for-4 with an HBP and a K.
- Blake Rutherford was 0-for-3 with an HBP.
- Micker Adolfo, 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Romy Gonzalez went 2-for-5 with a strikeout and a CS.
- Carlos Pérez went 1-for-4 with a double, walk and strikeout.
- Yolbert Sanhchez was 2-for-4 with a double and a strikeout.
- Taylor Varnell: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Yoelqui Céspedes went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts and a stolen base.
- Lenyn Sosa and Luis Curbelo both were 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- The box score says Luke Shilling pitched a scoreless inning with two strikeouts around a hit. It seemed like he was supposed to be done for the year with a UCL tear, but Greensboro has no video feed to confirm.
Kannapolis 8, Salem 7 (10 innings)
- Jose Rodriguez went 0-for-4 with a walk.
- Samil Polanco was 2-for-5.
- Bryan Ramos went 0-for-4 with a strikeout and an HBP.
- Luis Mieses went 2-for-5 with a homer and a double.
- Harvin Mendoza, 1-for-4 with a double, walk and strikeout.
- DJ Gladney resurfaced, going 0-for-4 with a walk and three strikeouts.
- Caberea Weaver was 2-for-5 with a stolen base and the walk-off single.
- Chase Krogman went 1-for-4 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Jared Kelley’s best outing of the year: 3 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Yoelvin Silven, not so much: 1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Wilber Sanchez went 1-for-5 with two strikeouts and a stolen base.
- Misael Gonzalez keeps tearing it up: 3-for-3 with a homer, walk, HBP and stolen base.
- Benyamin Bailey went 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Wilfred Veras struck out three times during an 0-for-5 night.
- Logan Glass homered, got plunked and struck out thrice.
- Ronaldo Guzman: 3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Erick Bello: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K
- Manuel Guariman went 1-for-3.
- Victor Quezada was 1-for-4.
- Yohemy Nolasco: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K
(Photo by Laura Wolff / Charlotte Knights)