No products in the cart.
On Saturday night, Zack Burdi made his first appearance in a professional game in nearly 13 months.
Burdi had been sidelined since mid-July of 2017 after undergoing Tommy John srugery, but he made his long-awaited season debut with the Arizona Rookie League’s White Sox affiliate.
Burdi started the game and pitched two-thirds of an inning, allowing a run on a hit and a walk while striking out one. The initial report from FanGraphs’ Eric Longenhagen:
Zack Burdi just wrapped up his rehab outing in AZL. Sat 93-95.
— Eric Longenhagen (@longenhagen) August 5, 2018
- Charlie Tilson played in his first game since July 24, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Ryan Cordell went 1-for-3 with a walk, strikeout and CS.
- Eloy Jimenez went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and an HBP.
- Jose Rondon went 1-for-4 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Seby Zavala, 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Ryan Burr: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Ian Hamilton: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
*James Fegan provided an update on Michael Kopech and his attempts to find a working grip on the changeup:
“It’s an unorthodox grip,” Kopech said. “I wouldn’t even say most people would call it a changeup if they looked at it in my hand, it looks like I’m throwing a fastball. I grip it deeper and I throw it just like a fastball and it has more action and I have better control of it. I feel very comfortable throwing my changeup right now. Just as comfortable as I feel throwing my slider or curveball. I feel like we’ve reached a point where I can actually use that as a weapon rather than a show-me pitch.”
- Joel Booker went 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Alex Call, 1-for-4.
- Zack Collins went 1-for-4 with a double and a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick was 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Jameson Fisher, 0-for-3.
- Dylan Cease lowered his ERA to 1.99: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K
- Luis Gonzalez went 0-for-5.
- Nick Madrigal finally struck out in his 72nd plate appearance of the season. He also singled twice, walked, got plunked, and was caught stealing.
- Blake Rutherford went 1-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Gavin Sheets, 1for-4 with a strikeout.
- Laz Rivera was 2-for-4 with a homer.
- Ti’Quan Forbes, 0-for-4.
- Lincoln Henzman: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Hunter Schryver’s organizational debut: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
- Tyler Johnson: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K
- Luis Curbelo went 2-for-5 with a double and two strikeouts.
- Steele Walker was 0-for-4 and an HBP in his A-ball debut.
- Justin Yurchak went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Bennett Sousa: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
- Bryce Bush went 2-for-4 with a homer, triple, strikeout, HBP and stolen base.
- Lenyn Sosa was 0-for-4 with a walk.
- Amado Nunez had a Arby’s night: 5-for-5 with a homer.
- Romy Gonzalez was 1-for-5 with a double and two strikeouts.
- Gunnar Troutwine went 1-for-4 with a K.
- Jonathan Stiever: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR
- Cabera Weaver went 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Camilo Quinteiro was 0-for-3 with two walks and a strikeout.
- Luis Robert, 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Same for Luis Mieses, who stole a base.
- Lency Delgado went 1-for-4.
- Harvin Mendoza wore the collar.
- Anderson Comas went 1-for-3 with an HBP, but was caught stealing.
- Zack Burdi: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Yordi Rosario’s stateside debut: 5.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K
- Harold Diaz went 2-for-4 with a double. He was caught stealing.
- Jerrick Francees was 0-for-3 with a strikeout.