No products in the cart.
Ordinarily, a matchup between the 45-70 Charlotte Knights and the 50-66 Syracuse Mets doesn’t seem like it’d be a natural candidate for national exposure on MLB Network, but Truist Field happens to host the highest level of play where all of Minor League Baseball’s rule changes can be rolled out — enforced pitch clocks, automated balls and strikes and ball/strike challenges — giving league officials to explain the what, how and why of rules that could be applied at the major-league level over the coming years.
The Knights and Mets did their part to prove the effectiveness of the emphasis on pace of play by completing a game in two hours and 17 minutes.
In the meantime, Micker Adolfo and Lenyn Sosa provided a couple of impressive moments on the stage.
Adolfo’s was more visibly impressive.
And here’s Sosa going deep to center the following inning.
- Lenyn Sosa went 1-for-3 with a homer and a walk.
- Carlos Pérez was 0-for-2 with two walks.
- Jake Burger, 0-for-3 with an HBP and a K.
- Yolbert Sánchez was 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Adam Haseley, 0-for-4.
Birmingham 14, Tennessee 3 (7 innings, rain)
- José Rodriguez homered again, along with a single before he was pinch-hit for with the Barons leading 9-2. He had stumbled in his swing before the HR.
- Oscar Colás broke out of his slump with a 2-for-5 night.
- Yoelqui Céspedes went 1-for-3 with a double, HBP and strikeout.
- Matthew Thompson: 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 36 of 61 pitches for strikes.
*Rodríguez’s homer. He
- Colson Montgomery and Bryan Ramos both were 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Adam Hackenberg singled twice, got plunked and struck out.
- Norge Vera: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 26 of 48 pitches for strikes.
- Wes Kath went 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- DJ Gladney, 2-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Wilfred Veras doubled twice and singled twice.
- Brooks Baldwin went 3-for-4 with a double and a walk.
- Victor Quezada was 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Jonathan Cannon picked up the save in his pro debut: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- Ryan Burrowes went 1-for-2 with two walks, two HBPs, two stolen bases and four runs scored.
- Loidel Chapelli was 1-for-4 with a walk and an HBP.
- Ronny Hernandez hit a pinch-hit grand slam in the eighth inning.
- Carlos Jimenez went 3-for-4 with a walk and an HBP.
*Eleven batters were hit in total.