First Pitches: White Sox vs. Blue Jays doubleheader

Guaranteed Rate Field

TV: NBC Sports Chicago

Time: Game 1 at 4:10 p.m.; Game 2 approximately 30-45 minutes after completion of Game 1, starting no earlier than 7:10 p.m.

Lineups:

Blue JaysOrderWhite Sox
George Springer, LF1Andrew Benintendi, LF
Bo Bichette, SS2Tim Anderson, SS
Brandon Belt, 1B3Luis Robert Jr., CF
Vladimir Guerrero Jr., DH4Eloy Jiménez, DH
Matt Chapman, 3B5Yasmani Grandal, C
Whit Merrifield, LF6Gavin Sheets, 1B
Cavan Biggio, 2B7Oscar Colás, RF
Alejandro Kirk, C8Zach Remillard, 3B
Kevin Kiermaier, CF9Elvis Andrus, 2B
José BerríosSPLance Lynn
Take a second to support Sox Machine on Patreon
Become a patron at Patreon!
102 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
joewho112

Off topic, but MLB Trade Rumor put together their list of trade candidates and boy, it’s a weak list. It make me hopeful the Sox can get a quality return for Giolito given he might be the best player available.

a-t

Yea, there’s been a lot of moaning about how we won’t get much of anything for him, but reliable and quality starting pitching is always highly sought-after. They could plausibly snag a backend top-100 prospect.

StockroomSnail

It’s annoying that a team dying for pitching won’t resign one of their good ones.

a-t

It is, but Gio was always firm that he wasn’t interested in an extension. I think he probably wants to go to a west coast team given that his wife lives and works in CA.

Right Size Wrong Shape

I think it’s more an issue of they won’t pay him what he’s worth, and they’ve nickel and dimed him in the arbitration process.

Augusto Barojas

Nightengale said in the early part of the season that the Sox would not extend/resign Gio. Whether he wants out or the Sox won’t pay him, either way, he gone.

Right Size Wrong Shape

Right, there’s no way the Sox are going to give a starting pitcher a $100M deal. If they would, I’m sure Gio would listen.

Augusto Barojas

Lynn has shown flashes of being an interesting addition for some team also. Sharp again today. If they package Gio with him, I think the Sox can get a solid prospect, at least.

a-t

I don’t know that a) Gio needs packaging for a solid prospect, bc starting pitching commands arguably more of a deadline premium than any other position, and 2) that there’s any contender who needs two full rotation members. I think Lance gets traded too for a non-zero prospect but prob not to the same team

Joliet Orange Sox

I agree that Giolito and Lynn will not be packaged together.

I also think Lynn is unlikely to bring much of a prospect back unless the Sox pay his salary for the last couple months of the season and the Sox have rarely done that.

Last edited 10 months ago by Joliet Orange Sox
JazznFunk

Plus there is a limit to how much payroll a team is going to take on.

StockroomSnail

Ah, my legs are just getting itchy from inspecting my ceiling, a double serving of white sox baseball will surely scratch that itch away.

StockroomSnail

The repetitive pitter patter of ground ball outs really helps me fall asleep.

Right Size Wrong Shape

Both teams in double header mode.

Umpire sure is

Beat me to it. Mercy!

Right Size Wrong Shape

That’s okay Pedro, we didn’t want to see Robert come up with a man on this inning anyway.

Forgot about TA. Oh well.

Lynn was awesome!

As Cirensica

Much needed to keep bullpen fresh….unless we go to extra inning like to the 15 innings of 0x0 game

a-t

Lance looks like his old self. Which is nice for trade value reasons

StockroomSnail

With how thin the rotation is going forward, are we 100% sure Lance’s option won’t get picked up? We saw what clevinger got.

Right Size Wrong Shape

I don’t think he would get that on the open market, but I wouldn’t rule out buying him out and negotiating a new deal similar to Clevinger’s.

StockroomSnail

Wouldn’t that probably not result in real savings though? Maybe the buyout is super cheap.

Right Size Wrong Shape

$1M buyout with a $10M deal and a club option? That saves $6M-$7M depending on they next buyout.

StockroomSnail

Thanks for not being as lazy as me.

Right Size Wrong Shape

I have no idea if he would take that the Clevinger deal, but his buyout for next year is $1M.

JazznFunk

Still a long way to go. If he finishes healthy and pretty effective, especially a team that feels there is no such thing as a bad 1yr deal could take a chance. That might not be the Sox though

ZzzzzZZzzzzZZZZZ

StockroomSnail

Is Santos just wearing Jordan’s? I don’t see spikes on his shoes.

Rambler303

Lynn was good today, quick trade him before he turns into a pumpkin.

StockroomSnail

Lopez misses by so much when he misses

As Cirensica

Impressive how this team gets nullified with any RHPs

hellotowel

Sox couldn’t score one damn run before Bummer came in to ensure the sweep. Probably better to just not watch this 11th.

BillyKochFanClub

You made a wise decision.

As Cirensica

Now that they have 6 runs, we will score.

Right Size Wrong Shape

Such an emblematic Bummer inning. Dribbler down the line for a hit, and now a seeing eye single through the right side.

Then a bunt and another grounder through the hole. With a crappy noodle throw by Benintendi to boot.

Right Size Wrong Shape

BTW, I hate the ghost runner so freaking much.

hellotowel

Agreed. I love all the other recent changes, and frankly I hope they continue to tinker, but the ghost runner is crap.

Denman

I’d hate it less if the Sox could ever drive in the ghost runner in their half of the 10th

Right Size Wrong Shape

That doesn’t help, but I hate it when I watch other teams, too. It’s so gimmicky.

Bum-Bum Bummer

BillyKochFanClub

Broadcasters keep saying that it just wasn’t Bummer’s day…like it’s so unlike him to give up runs.

Last edited 10 months ago by BillyKochFanClub
StockroomSnail

Days where he pitches lately seem to go awry.

StockroomSnail

Hey a successful throw home!

palkadance

Aaron Bummer might be the strongest argument for why I hate Rick Hahn. I’m so sick of being told he’s good. He is awful at his job every time it matters.

StockroomSnail

That last sentence could apply to many in this organization.

One more year at 5.5M and 2 options left

StockroomSnail

Shaw shanked, no redemption.

funkerdan

Now I’m going to watch a movie called I got shanked by Morgan while looking for redemption or just the movie title closest to what you typed. whichever.

StockroomSnail

I’d pay to hear Morgan Freeman threaten to shank somebody, but that’s probably not affordable.

funkerdan

do you think that would shake the whitesox into…….. the here and now and make them try harder? but actually be good.. as we know, trying and being don’t necessarily exist together.

StockroomSnail

I wish I could tell you that the white sox fought the good fight, and the central division let them be. I wish I could tell you that – but baseball is no fairy-tale world.

funkerdan

thank you, stockroomsnail, thank you.

BillyKochFanClub

And after the game is decided, now they actually score a run. This team wants you to hate them.

StockroomSnail

Oh the Sox are going to tie this and still lose, aren’t they?

As Cirensica

nah…they won’t tie it. They will still lose it though.

Right Size Wrong Shape

What happened to the strike zone box?

StockroomSnail

Steve stone carrying that Beni Bucket for Rick, ha.

Right Size Wrong Shape

Benintendi has definitely turned his season around at the plate, but I’m so sick of hearing people say he’s a good fielder. He just isn’t.

StockroomSnail

That was sox level defense, perhaps it’s contagious?

StockroomSnail

15 games under, here we come.

As Cirensica

Giolito’s next start should be with another team

He does deserve better.

dwjm3

Teheheh The Hahn humiliation tour continues

hellotowel

If anyone has improbably refused to give up on the season so far, this game should change that.

funkerdan

this lineup approach (in the article and I can see both) I APPROVE. ALSO: we’re bad.. WE ARE BAD.. we are SOOOOOO BAD.

Last edited 10 months ago by funkerdan
ndhp257

This stubbornness with the lineup makes me wonder if the manager is even watching the games.

As Cirensica

There’s no much Grifol can do. Hahn needs to clean up this roster as much as he can

StockroomSnail

It’s 3 card Monte with blank cards.

Now thats a TA play .

Awful send

As Cirensica

There are no outs and they send Zabala. This team is coached by clowns

StockroomSnail

Another successful TA play, I could get used to this.

chibaseball35

I wasn’t able to see the end of the 1st one, picked up after they held the Jays in the 10th only to not score AGAIN with the free man on 2nd. This team is so bad it’s unbelievable, in Hawks voice during the Quintana Rays game. And they gave up 6 runs to lose to top it off after 10 scoreless.

ndhp257

Ok, great job Eloy! Now you need to help the Sox go on a 10 game win streak.

*15

funkerdan

∛343 .

Last edited 10 months ago by funkerdan

Eloy smash!

Another slow hook.

StockroomSnail

In the future, I’m going to be stunned Brian Shaw had a brief era with the White Sox.

Last edited 10 months ago by StockroomSnail
As Cirensica

Didn’t he pitch in the 1st game?

He did!

StockroomSnail

We are the Whit whisperers.

Last edited 10 months ago by StockroomSnail
As Cirensica

I’m very close to stop watching games. This team is unwatchable.

StockroomSnail

Pfft, that’s been true for years.

hellotowel

In all honesty, one isn’t “less” of a fan for making the choice to sometimes turn off the TV and do something else. Took me a long time to realize that.

StockroomSnail

Life is too short to watch every white sox game.

Sorry Jim and Josh.

chibaseball35

Watching Shaw pitch gives me 2013 flashbacks.

As Cirensica

Hahn wondering what Matt Albers is doing these days.

chibaseball35

Lmao, I forgot about him. This has to be the minimum of the rebuild and this season. Crowd is dead.

Member

“…like a cat!”

StockroomSnail

Chris sale went 11-14 that year.

His ERA? 3.07

Last edited 10 months ago by StockroomSnail
chibaseball35

I miss White Sox Sale a ton. What an ace.

StockroomSnail

15 under after the 4th of July.

And another season bites the dust.

dwjm3

Corn is higher in the farmers fields than the Sox are in standings

ndhp257

They should get to 20 games under pretty quick after the break. Looking forward to some moves.

dwjm3

I’m certainly not looking forward to Hahn being the architect of said moves.

ndhp257

Him being gone should be the move but that’s not a very White Sox thing mid season.

StockroomSnail

Hahn should be forced to wear jorts until he helms a playoff series winner.