The Charlotte Knights don’t fall far from the tree.
They jumped out to a 2-0 lead over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp on Saturday with still nobody out in the first inning when Victor Reyes hit a fly ball to medium right field. It looked like an easy 3-0 lead when Lenyn Sosa tagged up from third, but Jesús Sánchez gunned him down with a strong throw home for the 9-2 double play.
Which then turned into a 9-2-6-3 triple play because Oscar Colás made a delayed break for second, and came nowhere close to safety.
The second of the three outs was disappointing because it seems like Sosa should have the foot speed to get home, but he was beaten by a great, valid baseball play. The third out, on the other hand?
You can select any number of unflattering frames from those eight seconds to capture the desperation, like the one I used in the featured image above. But don’t overlook the final moments, when Jacksonville’s catcher gently halted Colás to let him know it was over.
Anyway, the Knights went on to lose by 16 runs.
- Elvis Andrus started his rehab stint by going 1-for-3 with a walk from the DH spot.
- Lenyn Sosa came a triple short of the cycle, drawing a walk in his other PA.
- Oscar Colás went 2-for-4.
- Carlos Pérez, 1-for-4.
- José Rodríguez wore the collar and silver sombrero.
- Alsander Womack singled, walked and struck out twice.
- Luis Mieses and Yoelqui Céspedes both were 0-for-4 with a K.
- Cristian Mena: 6 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 50 of 82 pitches for strikes. All runs scored on the homer.
- Terrell Tatum anbd Wes Kath both were 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Loidel Chapelli was 2-for-4 with a triple, double and strikeout.
- DJ Gladney, 1-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Wilfred Veras struck out three times and got plunked once.
- Andrew Dalquist: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 27 of 54 pitches for strikes.