First Pitch: White Sox vs. Rangers

TV: NBC Sports Chicago

Lineups:

Take a second to support Sox Machine on Patreon
Jim Margalus
Jim Margalus

Writing about the White Sox for a 16th season, first here, then at South Side Sox, and now here again. Let’s talk curling.

Articles: 3791
47 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
a-t

attaboy lucas!

Augusto Barojas

Burger may have solved their DH problems. A shame he doesn’t have a position he can field well, but they don’t have a better DH. I think Burger’s hitting is for real, while 2021 Sheets was probably an aberration.

Eloy is quite trade-able, and they should probably not re-sign Abreu.

a-t

they should absolutely re-sign abreu, if for not quite as much $

IllinoisJones

I was always skeptical of Sheets because he never dominated a minor league level. Seems like the Sox last year just thought “let’s give him a shot and see if he unlocks something.” He had an initial spark that a good deal of young players have, and he’s been butt ever since.

Last edited 5 months ago by IllinoisJones
Joliet Orange Sox

I hope Burger is a for-real MLB hitter. However, I’m not sure how you can say Burger is for real after about 160 MLB plate appearances in the same sentence you say Sheets was an aberration in his 179 plate appearances in 2021. I think we have to wait and see.

Last edited 5 months ago by Joliet Orange Sox
As Cirensica

Burger has faced many adversities where Sheets has remained healthy. That shows that Burger is significantly more talented.

Augusto Barojas

Burger was like the 10th overall pick. I have to believe his upside and probability of success is a lot higher than Sheets.

Joliet Orange Sox

I am all for playing Burger every day right now and finding out what he is. There’s a reasonable chance he’ll succeed. My only point was that 160 plate appearances is not enough to declare him a solution.

Last edited 5 months ago by Joliet Orange Sox
Foulkelore

Gordon Beckham, who I thought was going to be a 20 HR/40 double a year Craig Biggio-ish guy after his rookie year, taught me this lesson well.

GrinnellSteve

Yeah. And Palka and Saladino and a host of others.

HallofFrank

The claim isn’t “all top 15 picks will be good” but something like, “top 15 picks are more likely to succeed based on their greater talent.”

Augusto is right, I think, to point out that Burger should be considered more highly than Sheets, Palka, etc. It’s a small sample size, sure. But Burger offers more reason for optimism than other rookie-ish flashes over a couple of months.

As Cirensica

Jake Burger is on fire. TLR cannot bench him anymore.

dwjm3

This needs to be Giolitos last inning Tony…just thought I would let you know as I know you struggle with the hook

soxygen

iDK, he could probably throw another 25-50 pitches this inning if Cease’s outing is any indication.

Last edited 5 months ago by soxygen
Foulkelore

Hey, Tony listened to you. Now tell him not to do the 1-2 intentional walk thing again.

As Cirensica

LOL Seager… how much are they paying you again?

As Cirensica

Why is Crick pitching again?

Foulkelore

Crick is rising.

madridsox

How does can someone pull a hamstring jogging in slow motion?

Last edited 5 months ago by madridsox
Foulkelore

Is Bummer ok? He hasn’t pitched since Tuesday, and threw only 10 pitches in that game.

Foulkelore

I ask, because I would have preferred him to Sousa against 2-3-4 with two lefties, but maybe that’s just me.

GrinnellSteve

At this point you’d prefer me throwing lefthanded over Sousa. I’m 65, righthanded, and had a stroke that affected my left side.

dwjm3

Jimmy Lambert with a lead ..yikes

Foulkelore

Not ideal.

a-t

Why the fuck is Lambert out here for a third?

Foulkelore

Tony’s going to miss the early bird special.

a-t

He’s still got 20 minutes till happy hour, no need to rush

As Cirensica

I stepped out for 30 mins and we are losing? WTF did Tony do this time?

Foulkelore

He didn’t use some better bullpen arms. If using Liam with a 5 run lead yesterday prevented his availability today, he shouldn’t have used him yesterday.

As Cirensica

Did Bummer die?

Foulkelore

Yeah, that was my big question above. This game may have ended in regulation with a win if it was Bummer instead of Sousa.

As Cirensica

So TLR only uses his big gun relievers when the Sox are winning?

We are so fucked

As Cirensica

Sorry…not even when we are winning because TLR used Souza with his 9 ERA when we were winning. TLR is beyond terrible. He cannot continue managing this team.

asinwreck

Looking forward to the organization’s reaction to the “Fire Tony” chants.

Foulkelore

Even though that part of the game had relevant game action, they’ll edit it out of the replay.

Last edited 5 months ago by Foulkelore
asinwreck

Inadvertently, of course, in the manner of LaRussa’s lineup construction or pitcher management.

As Cirensica

I actually hope this chant is here to stay in all home games

Augusto Barojas

I have hopes it will not be necessary for much longer. Until that’s true, I hope they continue. But only for a short time, hopefully.

phillyd

I think it was nice of Stone and Bennetti to stay silent for 15 seconds to really emphasize it. They didn’t try to talk over it to cover it up.

a-t

Is there a goddamn law that got passed against using one of your three best relievers in a tie game? With four innings to go and (at the time) a one-run lead, why is the plan Crick, Sousa, and Lambert?

SocksO’Graham

Time to put Lucas out there on the list of who is available.
Giolito
Moncada
Abreu
Bummer
Pollock
Jimenez
Lynn

Augusto Barojas

I would not give any of those guys away, but would certainly deal any of them for the right price. Eloy just isn’t a good fit for this team and is unlikely to ever realize his potential with his injuries. I would deal him for a couple really solid prospects in a heartbeat.

I hope they are not buyers before the deadline, not worth trading prospects to try to add to a disaster season.

Marty34

There’s a lot of awful on that list considering the expectations for this team on opening day.

Last edited 5 months ago by Marty34
As Cirensica

This. Right here. One of the biggest reasons TLR can’t manage this team anymore

Augusto Barojas

He is Tony the Terrible. I’m trying to use jedi mind trick to convince myself he will not be around much longer.

metasox

Graveman is on pace for his heaviest workload as a reliever. Hendriks is on a pretty good pace as well. Maybe he should be getting more of those multi-inning opportunities he used to want. But can he still handle that kind of workload? Main problem is too much Sousa.

Last edited 5 months ago by metasox