No products in the cart.
Clearly we’re getting closer, but we still have the same 3 holes to fill. RF, 2B, and backup catcher, as well as replace Rodon now cuz he’s not worth $18M QO.
Write “tender,” “non-tender” or “rework/extend” after each player and their projected 2022 salaries. Feel free to offer explanation afterward if necessary.
- Lucas Giolito: $7.9M TENDER (maybe the easiest decision in Baseball this year)
- Reynaldo López; $2.8M TENDER
- Evan Marshall: $2.3M NON-TENDER (TJ surgery)
- Adam Engel: $2.2M TENDER (good backup OF when healthy)
- Brian Goodwin: $1.7M NON-TENDER (Filled in admirably but we gotta do better)
- Jimmy Cordero: $1.2M TENDER
- Jace Fry: $1M NON-TENDER (sign to Minor league deal if possible)
Write “pick up” or “decline” or “rework” after the option.
- Craig Kimbrel: $16M ($1M buyout) PICKUP and trade
- César Hernández: $6M Decline (it just didn’t work out)
OTHER IMPENDING FREE AGENTS
Try to retain, extend qualifying offer, or let go?
- Leury García (Made $3.5M in 2021) Retain (2/ $8.5M – $4/ $4.5)
- Carlos Rodón ($3M) Let GO sorry, but can’t do it for QO price
- Billy Hamilton ($1M) Let Go sign to ST invite deal
- Ryan Tepera ($950K) Retain Only mid season that performed. (2 yr/ $9M – $4 / $5)
No. 1: Chris Taylor 2B (4 yr/ $42M – $9M in 2021) fills 2B and is super versatile.
No 2: Starling Marte RF (2 yr / $30M – $14M in 2021) gives us a solution in RF (til Yoelkui is ready) with plus arm, glove and speed. still decent at 33 YO.
No 3: Manny Pina C (1 yr $3M) listed as 3 War catcher would make us all forget Collins/Zavala fiasco
Only one real blaring need of a trade.
No. 1: Trade Craig Kimbrel to San Diego for Joe Musgrove . It’s too bad the Kimbrel experiment didn’t work but maybe we can get something for Madrigal and Heuer. SD need I s bullpen help badly and Kimbrel used to play for the Padres. Musgrove only makes $8M so we save a little even is we have to pitch in a couple Million to pay for part of Kimbrel’s salary.
I’m going with 6 SP because in todays game we’ve seen that 5 won’t suffice. if you don’t believe that look what Houston and Atlanta are trying to get by with, along with what failed us and the Dodgers as well. I’m platooning Vaughn and Sheets at DH mostly with occasionally working in Eloy and Grandal.
I think that puts me at $183M, so a little over. Too bad Jerry only has $1.4 Billion to live out the rest of his life, he’s only 84. Spend the extra $10-$20M to win before you die for God’s sake.
Frankly, I wanted to get Jon Gray as well but that would be another $10M. If there’s any way to dump Keuchel’s contract, that would be my replacement.
To be honest, I didn’t understand the original assumption of Obligations of $126M for 9 players, Options $22M for 2 players, and Arb of $19M for 7 players. (9+2+7 is only 18 players, so who’s missing?) . It seems to me Grandal, Moncada, Anderson, Abreu, Eloy, Robert, Sheets, Vaughn, Keuchel, Hendricks, Lynn, Cease, Bummer, Kopech, Burr, Crochet, Collins, Ruiz, Mendick are all under contract, I think. So I don’t understand who the 9 guys refers to, and thus who i should add money for to cover. Maybe it would help if we knew who the 9 guys are IDK, but I suspect I don’t have all the roster accounted for in my total $.
RF S. Marte
1B/OF/DH Sheets , Vaughn