I tried to get better and stay under $170 M but found it impossible. It can be done if a taker can be found for Keuchel’s $18.5 M but I don’t think that happens in the real world.
This is not my first attempt at posting this. I got my covid booster this morning and I’m not feeling great with the biggest side effect being that I’m firmly convinced Andy González’s number was 36. I was not warned of this side effect. I wonder if the CDC knows about it.
- Lucas Giolito: $7.9M Tender
- Reynaldo López; $2.8M Tender
- Evan Marshall: $2.3M Non-tender (possibly bring back in 2023)
- Adam Engel: $2.2M Tender
- Brian Goodwin: $1.7M Non-tender
- Jimmy Cordero: $1.2M Tender
- Jace Fry: $1M Non-Tender
- Craig Kimbrel: $16M ($1M buyout) Pick up and trade
- César Hernández: $6M Decline
OTHER IMPENDING FREE AGENTS
- Leury García (Made $3.5M in 2021) Re-sign for 2 years at $3.75M per year
- Carlos Rodón ($3M) Let go (too risky and expensive)
- Billy Hamilton ($1M) Let go
- Ryan Tepera ($950K) Re-sign for 2 years at $2.5 M per year
Chris Taylor for 3 years/$36 M
Steven Matz for 2 years / $12 M
If need be, I’d rather go another year on each of these deals than increase the pay per year.
Kimbrel and Engel to the Yankees for Joey Gallo
I had this trade in mind before seeing Greg Nix propose the exact same trade. I think Kimbrel can only be traded for a player another team wants to get rid of. Gallo bats left-handed, has a high obp and good power, is a good defender, and will be only 28. Sure, he strikes out a lot but he’ll only cost $10 M for one year and I think he’s an upgrade that will help.
Here’s what I end up with for $184 M next year:
C Grandal, 1b Abreu, 2b Taylor, ss Anderson, 3b Moncada, LF Jiménez, CF Robert, RF Gallo, DH Sheets/Vaughn
IF/OF Leury, IF Romy González, OF Sheets/Vaughn, C Collins
Giolito, Lynn, Matz, Cease, Kopech, [Keuchel, López (I believe no team makes it a full season on 5 starters)]
Hendriks, Bummer, Tepera, Crochet, Cordero, Burr ,[Keuchel, López]
There’s talk the Jays may extend a QO to Matz. If they do, he’ll probably take it.
Holy shit, if they actually sign Taylor for 3/36 I will have a heart attack. I think he’s gonna get twice that in free agency.