Andrew Vaughn made a few waves on White Sox Twitter Thursday afternoon, as he started at second base for the first time in his career, a game in which it was made quite clear the White Sox were saving their bullets for another day. As he has a penchant to do when the White Sox throw him into the fire, Vaughn acquitted himself if not admirably, at least adequately.
With that game, Vaughn became the fourth Sox player to log a game at second base this season. On the surface that seemed a little high, so I dug into previous years to see what the high-water mark actually was. As it turns out, four guys at second over the course of a season isn’t really all that unusual. There have been multiple seasons with five guys –including this one, now that the former Future Guardian is in the fold–, and 2013 saw six different players at the position, and that looks to take the cake.
Today’s Sporcle will test your knowledge of all these second basemen. Since 1990, which White Sox players have played (but not necessarily started) at least one game at second base over the course of the season? There are 127 entries in all: how many can you get? Good luck!
- To reiterate from above: a player need not have started the game at second, merely appeared there.
- I’ve allotted 10 minutes for completion attempts.
- For hints, I’ve provided the number of games at second base, and the year.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confuse, and/or confound your friends and family:
- There have been 10 players to log just one game at second base in a season.
- The most games logged at the position on this list is 157, back in 1998.
- Meanwhile, the most games logged at second in franchise history is 161, accomplished by Jim Morrison in 1980. (He was DH for the other game)
All data from stathead.com
97/127 before I ran out of time.
Tremendous quiz, Ted. I laughed out loud when time was up and some of these names were revealed.
Glad you liked it! I felt the same way, when compiling the list.
94/127. Missed a handful I should have gotten, but there were some really obscure names on there. Great quiz, Ted!!
Great Quiz!! I missed 25, but unless Doug Brady and Chad Fonnville are doing this quiz together, noone is going to be perfect!