I temporarily exhausted my supply of White Sox farm system observations in the inaugural edition of Farm Fortnight, so I’d like to draw your attention to the one team worse than the Kannapolis Cannon Ballers this year.
While Kannapolis fell to 1-12 with a loss by the opposite order of those numbers tonight, the Fredericksburg Nationals fell to 0-13 with an 11-run loss of their own. It was over after one, with Salem scoring six runs in the first.
The FredNats are completely overmatched, but Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper used the occasion to tell a story about how fortunes can change.
So cheer up, Kannapolis! At least the park looks great!
Durham 7, Charlotte 2
- Blake Rutherford returned to the lineup after a couple games off and went 1-for-4 with a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Jake Burger started his Triple-A road career with a homer, his hit during a 1-for-4 night.
- Gavin Sheets went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Brian Goodwin homered and struck out twice.
- Reynaldo López had a rough night: 1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 25 of 34 pitches for strikes.
Birmingham 8, Montgomery 1
- Micker Adolfo filled out the rest of his line by going 3-for-4 with a double.
- Carlos Pérez was 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Ofreidy Gómez’s peripherals are still impressing: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K
Jersey Shore 5, Winston-Salem 0
- Lenyn Sosa wore the collar and silver sombrero.
- Yolbert Sanchez also was 0-for-4, but with one strikeout.
- Luis Curbelo went 0-for-3 with a K.
- Luis Mieses, 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Duke Ellis was 0-for-3 with a K.
- Alex Destino had the Dash’s only hit.
Columbia 12, Kannapolis 1
- José Rodriguez went 1-for-3 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Lency Delgado made his first appearance since Opening Day and went 0-for-4 with a K.
- Bryan Ramos was 0-for-3 with a walk, two strikeouts and a stolen base.
- DJ Gladney hit his first homer of the year, part of a 2-for-4 night with a strikeout.
- Benyamin Bailey, 0-for-4.
- James Beard, 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
*Gladney’s homer is the one:
Thank you Alex Destino for breaking up the no hitter.
Thank you DJ Gladney for breaking up the shutout.