The White Sox are in win now mode but have holes to fill in RF and the rotation. Vaughn will fill the void at DH and has a low bar.
- Nomar Mazara: $5.6M | $5.9M | $5.7M – Non tender
- Carlos Rodón: $4.5M | $4.5M | $4.5M – Non tender
- Lucas Giolito: $2.5M | $5.3M | $2.5M – Tender
- Reynaldo López: $1.7M | $2.2M | $1.7M – Tender
- Evan Marshall: $1.3M | $1.9M | $1.4M – Tender
- Adam Engel: $1M | $1.4M | $1M – Tender
- Jace Fry: $800K | $1M | $800K – Tender
- Yolmer Sánchez: Uncertain – Non tender, resign at lower cost
- Edwin Encarnación: $12M – Decline
- Gio González: $7M ($500K buyout) – Decline
- Leury García: $3.5M ($250K buyout) – Pick up
OTHER IMPENDING FREE AGENTS
- Alex Colomé (Made $10,532,500 in 2020) – Re-sign, 1/$12m. I like having this anchor in the bullpen. I’m not sure there is a strong market for him so he might go with a 1 year deal.
- James McCann (Made $5.4M in 2020) – let go
- Jarrod Dyson (Made $2M in 2020) – let go
- Manager: Fuld
- Pitching coach: Let Fuld pick
No. 1: Kevin Gausman (3 years, $45m). Gausman is the same age as Bauer and Stroman and has actually performed close to them, though he hasn’t received as much attention. I think he’ll require less $ and less years than the other two so I went with him.
Gausman 985IP, 15.0WAR
Stroman 849IP, 15.9WAR
Bauer 1190IP 19.9WAR
No. 2: Jackie Bradley Jr. (1 year, $10m). I like him over Pederson because of his glove.
No. 3: Jason Castro (1 year, $4m).
No. 1: Trade Dylan Cease and Zack Burdi to the Angels for Brandon Marsh. Marsh is a top 100 prospect (#73 MLB Pipeline, #30 Fangraphs with 55FV). He bats LH and can play all three OF positions. I’m hoping he can be a piece to the long term core.
I figured I could go one of two ways, really push the chips up on the table and go after Stroman/Bauer/Springer or patch holes. Both can blow up in your face, so I took the less risky approach and patched holes.
This payroll lands around $135m, hopefully provides a long term piece in the OF, keeps financial flexibility and adds 180 innings of quality pitching.
RF Bradley Jr.