I think the White Sox are fairly comfortable with their offense, though I think a slight upgrade may be made in the outfield. This is not limited to free agents, but also to moving Eloy to DH more often under a new manager. I do think the Sox will go after pitching and they will target pitchers that can produce groundballs.
- Nomar Mazara: $5.6M | $5.9M | $5.7M – As much as I wanted him to hit 3HR in 5 games, he never did. For that, he gets non-tendered.
- Carlos Rodón: $4.5M | $4.5M | $4.5M – Non-Tender, Carlos, it’s not you, it’s me.
- Lucas Giolito: $2.5M | $5.3M | $2.5M – Tender ($5M)
- Reynaldo López: $1.7M | $2.2M | $1.7M – I don’t know what ReyLo does on this team and for that I can’t spend $2M. Non-Tender
- Evan Marshall: $1.3M | $1.9M | $1.4M – Tender
- Adam Engel: $1M | $1.4M | $1M – Tender
- Jace Fry: $800K | $1M | $800K – Tender
- Yolmer Sánchez: Uncertain – Non-Tender, but he’ll be back somehow. We can’t quit Yolmer.
- Edwin Encarnación: $12M – Decline
- Gio González: $7M ($500K buyout) – Decline
- Leury García: $3.5M ($250K buyout) – Pick up, there is just too much value in a guy that can play every position, including a reasonable SS.
OTHER IMPENDING FREE AGENTS
- Alex Colomé (Made $10,532,500 in 2020) – Qualifying offer, which I believe he will decline due to the weak closer market.
- James McCann (Made $5.4M in 2020) – Let go, he’ll get a chance to start somewhere for more money than the Sox should spend on a backup catcher. Hope he does well.
- Jarrod Dyson (Made $2M in 2020) – Let go, despite him being our big trade deadline prize last year.
Here’s a first: Pick your manager and pitching coach, with any elaboration.
- Manager: Sandy Alomar Jr
- Pitching coach: Ruben Niebla
I think this package deal makes the most sense because they have the experience and institutional knowledge that the Sox want. This can go a long way in landing pitchers in Free Agency
No. 1: Marcus Stroman – It’s either Stroman or Bauer this year, but if I read last off-season correctly, grounders are important to the Sox. Stroman’s career GB% is 58 to Bauer’s 41. That, plus personality issues, will likely be the reason to go this way. I’m thinking 5/$90M probably backloaded and some awesome Kenny/Hahn “if you win the cy young and play 72 games in the last year, you get a 6th year at $40M”. But we’ll call it $18M on this year’s ledger.
No. 2: Jake Arrieta – Sticking with the ground ball theme, I am not trying to re-live roided out incredible Arrieta. Rather I am looking for his last 3 years of 50+ GB%. 2/$20M might be an overpay for a 4th starter, but Scott Boras
No. 3: Jackie Bradley Jr – Lefty Engel would be just that. JBJ + Engel replace Mazara in RF on a daily basis. He gets on base ok, he runs ok, he can play CF if needed. We’re going with a Pillar-esque deal as that is his comp in my mind. 2/$8M
No. 4: Derek Dietrich – Getting a little more left handed at the plate and doing it with a guy that can play pretty much anywhere except SS and C, but there is actually some SLG% in this bat. A new concept for our utility guys. This is cheap 1/$600k
No. 5: Jason Castro – Keep on getting more lefty. Castro as your backup C is pretty solid and if he can be used only against RHP, even better. 1/$5M
No. 6: Mike Leake – Staying on the groundball theme, Leake can throw them. He als has an inexplicable contract that will get him a $5M buyout this year, just to go away. So I think you can get him for a few million on a bounce back contract. 1/$3M
No trades. I had an elaborate Rodon for Kluber trade, but just couldn’t make it work.
C Grandal – 18.25
C Castro – 5
C Mercedes – .575
1B Abreu – 17.667
2B Madrigal – .575
SS Anderson – 7.25
3B Moncada – 6.8
LF Jimenez – 4.333
CF Robert – 3.5
RF Engel – 1.4
OF Bradley – 4
UTIL Garcia – 3.5
UTIL Dietrich – .6
SP Giolito – 5
SP Keuchel – 18
SP Stroman – 18
SP Arrieta – 10
SP Leake – 3
SP/RP Cease – .625
SP/RP Dunning – .575
SP/RP Kopech – .575
RP Marshall – 1.9
RP Fry – 1
RP Bummer – 2
RP Heuer – .575
RP Foster – .575
If I added this up wrong, that’s your problem for checking math on this post. Also, it’s a bit difficult to know where Cease, Kopech, and Dunning fit in. Could be minors until an injury requires their services, could be the bullpen, but they are all worth mentioning.
I expect Arrieta to come through and work with the 108ers on “pilates”
Who is the DH on the roster?
Main two would be Jimenez and Grandal.
Colome would be happy with 2 years for $18M, let alone 1 year. I’d rather have Ken Giles for 1 year $8-9M than Colome.
you beat me to it. He’s be all over a QO. It absurdly high $$$ now.
Nice. First one of these I looked at since putting my own out there -Kopech figures heavily for me but you got it all going nicely without him.