Baseball’s Triple-A leagues changed to the same baseball as the one used in the bigs starting this season, which presents a double-edged sword for pitchers.
On one hand, relievers shouldn’t have any surprises when they attempt to spin a slider or curveball after a call-up. Ian Hamilton and Ryan Burr both struggles to get results with their breaking balls, so you could say it helps them to learn sooner rather than later. On the other hand, the ball’s lower seams reduce the amount of air resistance, which means they travel farther, which means more offense.
Sure enough, the home run boom that showed up in the majors two years ago is now in the early returns for the International and Pacific Coast leagues:
Keep this in mind for Charlotte. Hitters were already going to find BB&T Ballpark most hospitable than Regions Field, but it could get ridiculous.
Charlotte 6, Norfolk 5 (Game 1, 7 innings)
- Charlie Tilson went 1-for-4 with a double and a strikeout.
- Daniel Palka went 0-for-1 with three walks in his return to Triple-A.
- Zack Collins, 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick was 0-for-3 with a K.
- Dylan Cease had his first command problems in Triple-A: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 2 WP
Norfolk 5, Charlotte 2 (Game 2, 7 innings)
- Danny Mendick went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
- Daniel Palka, 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Seby Zavala busted out of a slump with a pair of homers during a 2-for-3 night.
- Charlie Tilson was 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.
*Zavala’s second homer:
Jackson 5, Birmingham 1
- Laz Rivera and Blake Rutherford both were 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Luis Gonzalez wore the collar and silver sombrero.
- Gavin Sheets is on the board, going 1-for-4 with his first Double-A homer.
- Micker Adolfo was 2-for-4.
- Kodi Medeiros: 5 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP
Potomac 6, Winston-Salem 2 (Game 1, 7 innings)
- Luis Robert went 1-for-2 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Nick Madrigal, 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Carlos Perez, 1-for-3.
- Codi Heuer suffered his first damage: 2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Winston-Salem 5, Potomac 2 (Game 2, 7 innings)
- Luis Robert left after one at-bat.
- Nick Madrigal again went 0-for-3 with a walk, stealing a base this time.
- A successful return off the IL for Lincoln Henzman: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
*Robert reportedly aggravated his hand on a swing, but is expected to be back in the lineup today.
Kannapolis 6, Hagerstown 4
- Bryce Bush got plunked, struck out thrice and committed two errors.
- Amado Nunez went 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Luis Curbelo, 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Kade McClure: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Luis Robert has to stay healthy to distract Sox fans from Birmingham.
Or all Sox fans regardless of where they are from. 🙂
W-S Twitter, noonish EDT:
Not in today’s lineup.
Bryce Bush at Kann was a mistake. Hope it doesn’t hurt his development long term.