- Jose Abreu, $16M: Tender
- Avisail Garcia, $8M: Tender
- Yolmer Sanchez, $4.7M: Tender
- Carlos Rodon, $3.7M: Tender
- Matt Davidson, $2.4M: Tender
- Leury Garcia, $1.9M: Tender
- Danny Farquhar, $1.4M: Non-Tender – Sign to Minor League Contract.
- Nate Jones, $4.65 million/$1.25M buyout: Pick up option
- James Shields, $16 million/$2M buyout: Decline
OTHER IMPENDING FREE AGENTS
- Miguel Gonzalez: Bye.
- Jose Abreu, Leury Garcia, and Jace Fry to NYY for Miguel Andujar and Jacoby Ellsbury. This trade works out for both teams. The Yankees drop Ellsbury’s salary that they can reallocate towards Machado or Harper plus they gain Garcia – who can fill in for Gregorious to start the year – and Abreu who can fill their 1b hole. Fry also helps to give them another young bullpen arm. The White Sox gain their cost-controlled 3b for the next while and they can sign him to an extension down the road if needed. Ellsbury can fill a corner outfield slot and be a stabilizing veteran.
FREE AGENT SIGNINGS
Nathan Eovaldi: Five years, $80 million + 2 option years at $20m each
Love this guy and would love to see him anchor the rotation temporarily. As Cease/Kopech/etc… grow, they would be future anchors and Eovaldi could drop to a 3-4.
Payroll: ~$90-95 million?
Here’s the Sox’ lineup:
One of Covey/Stephens/Adams/Guerrero (until Cease)
One of Covey/Stephens/Adams/Guerrero
My plan does a few things:
- The team actually gets younger. We add another 2 centerpieces to the core and they fit the window.
- Avi holds a place for Eloy. If he’s good, he builds trade value. If he sucks, he gets released or moves to DH when Eloy arrives. Win/win for the Sox here and it’s a win for Avi if he’s actually good.
- Ellsbury can also take over 4th OF or DH the next couple years if needed. He’s an expensive extra but young, cost-controlled stars like Andujar are rare.
- This takes away the need to get Machado/Harper/Arenado/etc… If we were able to land Arenado in 2019, we could move Andujar to DH in place of Palka. I guess I have PTSD from the early 2000’s bulls swinging for the fences…and getting Ron Mercer and Carlos Boozer. Wah wah.
- This buys time for prospects like Nick Madrigal and Luis Robert to develop in the minors as needed and keeps Moncada and Anderson in their current defensive positions to lesson their learning curves (versus moving them to new positions to make room for Madrigal). It also builds healthy competition on the MLB roster.
- We also would have some cash to land another piece or two next offseason…like…Chris Sale? David Robertson? Just saying, it definitely wouldn’t hurt the Sox to pull a “Stan Bowman” there.
I don’t think there’s any indication that Ellsbury will be any sort of effective outfielder in 2019. Might as well stick with Avi. I also think the Eovaldi contract is at least a year too long. Given his two TJ surgeries, I think a 3 year contract is more in the expected range.
That is a lot of money for Eovaldi, a pitcher than I cannot understand people are so high on. He had a decent half season with Boston and was a no name every else.
Also, if we are taking on all Ellsbury’s horrible contract and giving up Jose we should at least get back a prospect as well….
Isn’t a 23 y/o MLB third basemen with 5 years of cost control who hit almost 30 HR’s in his rookie year…a good enough prospect? I’m as big a homer as any but 1b’s and UT are not in huge demand overall. I felt this trade was balanced fairly for both teams.