The White Sox’ A-ball affiliates opened postseason play on Wednesday, and they both started in a hole.
Ti’Quan Forbes hit a homer in the ninth inning to bring the Dash within one, but they couldn’t get the tying run on board in a 5-4 loss to Buies Creek.
A level down, Kannapolis’ attempt to break a late-game tie resulted in Tate Blackman getting thrown out at the plate to end the eighth.
Tate Blackman thrown out at the plate trying to score from 2B. We're still tied at 2 going T9.. pic.twitter.com/10V4X9Uvwd
— Jonathan Lee (@followmefor3) September 6, 2018
In the end, Lakewood broke the ninth-inning tie with #WILDPITCHOFFENSE to beat Kannapolis 4-2 in the opening game of the South Atlantic League semifinals.
Buies Creek 5, Winston-Salem 4
(Buies Creek leads series 1-0)
- Luis Robert went 0-for-2 with a walk and a sac fly.
- Luis Gonzalez, 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Nick Madrigal was 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Blake Rutherford, 1-for-4.
- Gavin Sheets, 1-for-4 with a double and two strikeouts.
- Ti’Quan Forbes went 2-for-4 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Laz Rivera, 1-for-3 with a strikeout and a sac bunt.
- Nate Jones: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, seven of eight pitches for strikes.
Lakewood 4, Kannapolis 2
(Lakewood leads series 1-0)
- Luis Curbelo went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and an HBP.
- Steele Walker, 1-for-4.
- Carlos Perez went 2-for-4.
- Will Kincanon: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
*Here’s Perez with an RBI single:
Carlos Perez single scores Steele Walker. 2-0 Kannapolis.. pic.twitter.com/LB8jGP20hj
— Jonathan Lee (@followmefor3) September 5, 2018
Billings 6, Great Falls 3
- Lenyn Sosa went 2-for-4.
- Bryce Bush and Gunnar Troutwine were both 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Maiker Feliz singled and struck out thrice.