Two more sets of rankings came out on Wednesday for your perusal:
No. 1: Baseball America, which released its updated post-draft farm system rankings. It placed the White Sox fourth behind the Padres, Rays and Blue Jays, and described the system with one of Rick Hahn’s favorite words:
State of the System: This system is as robust as any in the game. They took a top three that included Eloy Jimenez, Michael Kopech and Luis Robert and added the best pure hitter in the draft class in former Oregon State infielder Nick Madrigal. Dylan Cease’s season-long dominance has made the top of the system even stronger, too. There have been injuries—Robert, Dane Dunning and Micker Adolfo all went on the shelf for extended periods—but overall the White Sox’s farm looks strong as the team continues its rebuild.
No. 2: FutureSox completed its top 30 revision, It looks like No. 6 is where mileage starts to vary, for reason good (outfielder progress) and bad (Alec Hansen, Dane Dunning, Micker Adolfo injuries).
Montgomery 1, Birmingham 0
- Luis Basabe went 0-for-3 with a walk, strikeout and stolen base.
- Joel Booker and Alex Call were both 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Zack Collins, 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick had half of Birmingham’s hits by going 2-for-3 with a double.
- Jameson Fisher, 1-for-3.
Hickory 2, Kannapolis 1
- Luis Curbelo went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Steele Walker had his first multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a K.
- Justin Yurchak, 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.
AZL White Sox 3, AZL Royals 0
- Camilo Quinteiro went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Kelvin Maldonado was 0-for-4.
- Tito Polo surfaced, hitting a homer, walking and striking out. He was also caught stealing.
- Cabera Weaver replaced him and singled in his only PA.
- Anthony Coronado went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
- Sam Abbott, 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Josue Guerrero, 1-for-3 with a triple and a strikeout.
- Brayant Nova was 0-for-3 with two K’s.
DSL D-backs1 5, DSL White Sox 1
- Harold Diaz was 0-for-4.
Charlotte at Syracuse, suspended
Winston-Salem vs. Myrtle Beach, PPD
Kannapolis at Hickory Game 2, PPD
While Charlotte’s game was stopped in the third inning, it was enough time for Eloy Jimenez to prove himself well:
Eloy Jimenez likes hitting homers. He hit his 9th of the season with the @KnightsBaseball tonight! pic.twitter.com/bbzHRcohCV
— White Sox Talk (@NBCSWhiteSox) August 9, 2018