Last weekend, former White Sox and all-around-good-guy Jim Thome was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Of course, before he played for the White Sox, Thome played for the Indians (and Phillies); after, he had a good number of at-bats against the Sox with the Twins.
All told during his time as an opponent of the White Sox he hit 43 home runs against them: today’s Sporcle celebrates Jim Thome by asking you to name the pitchers who he hit those home runs off of. If you read this month’s Random Box Score you got a bit of a leg up as two pitchers from that article also appear in today’s Sporcle. How many can you name? Good luck!
- I’ve given you fifteen minutes to attempt completion.
- For hints, I’ve provided the date of the game, whether the pitcher was a starter or a reliever, and the inning in which the home run came.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confound, and/or confuse your friends:
- The team Thome hit the most home runs against was Detroit, with 66.
- The pitcher Thome hit the most home runs against was Rick Reed, with 9, though he also hit 8 against Roger Clemens and 7 against Justin Verlander.
- The very first home run of Thome’s career was against Steve Farr of the Yankees. The last? Carlos Villanueva of the Blue Jays.
Direct link here
All data from baseballreference.com
38/43. The first two names I got were the earliest and latest dates. Hard to believe
Only 27. I have no recollection of
Sad day. Boomer 38 KenWo 35.
Boomer’s making up ground on you!!!
30. This makes me recall years (1998-2003) when I no longer lived in Chicago and didn’t have any MLB internet subscriptions and didn’t follow the team on any blogs. I have no real concrete memory of those teams.
I’m dumb. Nothing to see here.