Good news: Michael Kopech has strung together two of the starts one might expect to see at this time in Triple-A. He held the Pawtucket Red Sox to two runs (one earned) over six innings, striking out nine while allowing seven hits and a walk. That gives him 20 K’s to 13 baserunners over his last 12 innings.
Bad news: Jimmy Lambert only lasted two scoreless innings for Birmingham.
Jimmy Lambert exited tonight's game with the trainer before the top of the third inning. We will update when more information is available.
Brandon Brennan enters from the Birmingham bullpen. 0-0, T3.
— Birmingham Barons (@BhamBarons) July 20, 2018
Charlotte 4, Pawtucket 3
- Jose Rondon entered late in the game and went 0-for-1.
- Eloy Jimenez, 2-for-4.
- Michael Kopech: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
Jackson 2, Birmingham 1 (11 innings)
- Joel Booker went 0-for-4.
- Luis Alexander Basabe was 1-for-5 with three strikeouts.
- Zack Collins, 0-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick, 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Alec Call, 2-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Jimmy Lambert: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Carolina 6, Winston-Salem 5 (11 innings)
- Luis Gonzalez and Blake Rutherford were both 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Laz Rivera, 1-for-5 with a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Gavin Sheets went 2-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Ti’Quan Forbes, 1-for-5 with a double and three K’s.
- Tyler Johnson: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Hickory 14, Kannapolis 10
- Luis Curbelo went 2-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Nick Madrigal went 2-for-5.
- Michael Hickman was 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Carlos Perez was 2-for-5 with a double, which caused his July average to drop.
*Notes from the Sally looked at Nick Madrigal’s day:
At the dish he hits from an upright, closed stance. He has a sizable leg kick that generates positive momentum and a moderate weight shift (load). He’s very quiet pre-pitch. The swing is short, fast and linear. He’s patient and lets the ball travel. He’s got strong and very fast hands and he hits the ball where it’s pitched, usually with authority. His game is line drives and sharp grounders from line to line. He handles the bat extremely well and displays excellent bat to ball skills. He’s the type of hitter that gets down 0-2 and then hits a gapper to right center on the 12th pitch. Spoiling one put away pitch after another and staying alive until the pitcher makes a mistake.
Orem 5, Great Falls 4 (11 innings)
- Lenyn Sosa doubled, singled, walked, got plunked and struck out.
- Amado Nunez was 0-for-5 with three strikeouts.
- Jhoandro Alfaro was 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Codi Heuer: 3 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR
AZL Cubs1 9, AZL White Sox 2
- Steele Walker went 2-for-3 with an HBP.
- Luis Mieses and Ryan Cordell were both 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Anthony Coronado went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Sam Abbott walked twice.
- Harvin Mendoza went 1-for-2 with a double.
- Brayant Nova was 1-for-4 with a K.
- Kleyder Sanchez went 0-for-4.
- Kelvin Maldonado was 1-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Felix Mercedes: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Hunter Kiel: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
DSL Reds 4, DSL White Sox 1
- Jose Rodriguez went 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Jefferson Mendoza, 0-for-3.
- Jerrick Francees singled and struck out twice.
Hey Jim, looks like the Kanny box score got left out.
The internet ran out of digits.
Nick Madrigal: 2-5, 2 runs scored, 2 Rbi
It’s there now, along with a Madrigal review.