Comiskey Park would have turned 100 today, and here’s some good reading on the matter:
- The story of the construction of the park, as well as a brief history of its existence from the Chicago Baseball Museum.
- A recap of the events of July 1, 1910.
And way back when, I took video of the Hall of Fame’s Comiskey Park virtual tour of its 1919 form:
Christian Marrero Reading Room:
*At South Side Sox, tdogg reviews June. Also, Colin tries to estimate Adam Dunn’s worth.
*Washington GM Mike Rizzo says Kenny Williams hasn’t contacted him about Dunn, but that doesn’t mean Rick Hahn hasn’t given them a call. Joe Cowley says they’re still on the trail.
*Kenny Williams is usually quick to act, well before the deadline, but he might have to hang back a bit this year.
*One J.J. to another, White Sox Examiner talks Putz, and how he uses a different pitch selection to regain his dominant form.
*To be a True Yankee, you must win a championship. To be a True White Sox, you have to get married and pop out a kid. Gavin Floyd’s wife is expecting.
*All games against the Angels next week are half-priced. The first is a Monday, and you can use this promotion to get 50 percent off tickets for the other two.
Minor league roundup:
- Charlotte 7, Norfolk 5
- Carlos Torres struggled, allowing five runs on eight hits and five walks over 6 1/3 innings. He struck out four, but allowed two homers.
- Tyler Flowers went 1-for-3 with a double and a walk; no strikeouts.
- Jordan Danks singled and struck out three times.
- Brent Morel singled and struck out twice over four ABs.
- Mississippi 2, Birmingham 1 (Game 1, 7 innings)
- Brandon Hynick went the distance in defeat: 7 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
- Christian Marrero went 1-for-3.
- C.J. Retherford went 0-for-3 with a K; Justin Greene 0-for-2.
- Birmingham 9, Mississippi 6 (Game 2, 7 innings)
- Marrero went 2-for-3 with a triple, walk and RBI.
- Retherford went 1-for-4 with an RBI and a strikeout.
- Potomac 5, Winston-Salem 2
- Stephen Sauer allowed three runs on five hits and two walks over seven innings, striking out four.
- Brandon Short (strikeout) and Eduardo Escobar (triple) each went 1-for-4.
- Jon Gilmore went 0-for-3 with a sac fly.
- Jose Martinez had a single in four trips to the plate.
- Kannapolis 8, Asheville 7
- Joe Serafin allowed three runs on eight hits and a walk over six innings, striking out three.
- Kyle Colligan and Nick Ciolli both went 0-for-4.
- Brady Shoemaker went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Bristol 21, Greeneville 0
- Jacob Petricka allowed just a hit over five innings, striking out four.
- Screamin’ Kevin Moran contributed two innings, allowing two hits and recording a strikeout.
- Daniel Black went 2-for-4 with an RBI, walk and strikeout.
- Rangel Ravelo was 1-for-6 with an RBI and a strikeout.
- Tyler Saladino was 1-for-5 with an RBI and a strikeout; he also committed his second error.
- Missoula 2, Great Falls 1
- Ross Wilson went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.