No products in the cart.
As we continue to peer-review our offseason plans, Kenny Williams gives us something to chew on.
It’s not a whole lot, of course. Having an entire article based on KenSpeak is the equivalent of putting a bag of oranges into the Juice Loosener. You might get a drop of information out of it, if you’re lucky.
In a nutshell:
- “You play with things. It doesn’t mean you are going to act on anything, but you play with possibilities.”
- “Look at the team we ended with. Start with them and add a few key fits here and there, and I think we can be one of the teams to beat in the division.”
I think we can count on him not taking away wins on paper (sorry, Jose Lopez fans). I’m still operating with the thought in my mind that, as Chris De Luca has stated, Bobby Jenks has thrown his last pitch in a White Sox uniform, so I think that’ll be the key to one positional upgrade, similar to the Jon Garland-Orlando Cabrera trade. Look for veterans being pushed out for younger in-house replacements.
With that in mind, here’s our second offseason plan, courtesy of timmeh, a first-time caller, long-time listener. It’s slightly pithier than Knox’s Dickensian entry, but has some new names and dollars to discuss. I don’t know about you guys and gals, but I’m enjoying this thus far.
* * *
1) Octavio Dotel: Arbitration, or not?
Dotel – Walk
2) Jermaine Dye: Mutual option, arbitration, or not?
Dye – Buyout
3) One-year contract for John Danks? If not, what would you pay to extend him?
Appropriate raise for John Danks
4) One-year contract for Bobby Jenks, extension or trade?
Jenks – Keep. Considering the number of available closers and Jenks’ low value, I don’t see him going anywhere.
5) Which positions are in most dire need of an upgrade?
With the loss of Jermaine Dye, LF/RF and the DH position are the key areas for any acquisition. I would also toss 2B into that discussion.
6) Name three (or more) free agents you’d consider, at a price.
Sign Scotty Pods to 2 year $6/million dollar contract
Sign Placido Polanco to 2 year $8/million dollar contract. (I realize that he is a type A free agent, but I personally don’t see the Tigers offering him arbitration.)
Sign Takashi Saito to 1 year $3 million dollar contract
7) Name three (or more) realistic trades that could improve the Sox team.
Trade Bobby Jenks for cheaper bullpen.
‘Just my thoughts, I don’t see the White Sox making any huge moves.
(Note from Jim: If my back-of-napkin math is correct, salary here puts the Sox in the low $90Ms, if you take out Jenks’ salary for somebody cheaper.)
Arizona Fall League:
- Peoria 9, Phoenix 6
- C.J. Retherford and Jordan Danks each went 2-for-4, with Retherford homering.
- Better yet, they combined to go 4-for-4 off Stephen Strasburg. Story’s here.